Identifying Signers Under California Notary Law

[If it is difficult or impossible for a signer to obtain one of these forms of ID, please contact me regarding potential allowable options.  I am happy to answer any questions.]

Paper identification must be current or issued within five years.  Acceptable forms of ID include:

  1. An ID card or Driver License issued by the California Department of Motor Vehicles.  (A paper temporary Driver License is not acceptable ID.)
  2. A U.S. passport.
  3. An inmate identification card issued by the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, if the inmate is in custody in California state prison.
  4. Any form of inmate identification issued by a sheriff’s department, if the inmate is in custody in a local detention facility.
  5. Other CA approved ID (see list below) must contain ALL of the following: 

  • Ÿ Photograph
  •  Physical Description 
  •  Signature
  •  Identifying Number
  •  Issue or Expiration Date
    Ÿ Ÿ Ÿ 

Allowable forms of ID under option 5 above:

a) A valid consular identification document issued by a consulate from the applicant’s country of citizenship, or a valid passport from the applicant’s country of citizenship;

b) A driver's license issued by another state or by a Canadian or Mexican public agency authorized to issue driver's licenses;

c) An identification card issued by another state;

d) A U.S. military identification card with the required photograph, description of the person, signature of the person, and an identifying number.  (Newer military ID cards do not contain all the required information);

e) An employee identification card issued by an agency or office of the State of California, or an agency of a city, county, or city and county in California.

f) An identification card issued by a federally recognized tribal government.